My Coffee Stain

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Keeping up with the Joneses

Some days I sit here, thinking to myself, why would anyone want to read about my life's minutae. I seriously think I have nothing to write about today, like the creativity switch is turned off in my brain. So, inspired by Semi-Desperate Housewife's blog, I am also going to start a list. I can't promise that I will do this with any sort of regularity because I have borderline ADD issues, and have difficulty performing a certain task with any sense of regularity (besides going to sleep, waking up, eating and breathing).

My list for today is a list of wishes--I don't mean the heartfelt, "I wish for world peace and the wellbeing of all children" sort of wishes. I'm thinking more of the, "I wish I had more Cadbury Mini Eggs right now" confession sort of wish. Here are my top 5 for the evening:

1. I wish that I lived in the world of a catalog spread; specifically, Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn. I recently received the RH Outdoors catalog and I know now that I covet the lifestyle that would allow me to live in the plush-towels-matched-perfectly-to-my-outdoor-chaise-lounge-cushions-in-82-degree-beachside-weather world.

2. I wish that my daughter had more manageable hair. Her hair is extremely curly and I have no idea what to do with it, short of dousing her with products not at all suitable for a baby. I have pretty straight hair, so this is a whole new world to me.

3. I wish that I had a nice digital camera. Back in college I actually majored in fine art photography, but wasted a lot of time learning darkroom and development techniques that have pretty much become obsolete. I still take pictures with, *gasp*, a film camera, but lately I have found myself hating the thing... mainly because I know that if I buckled down, saved some money and got the camera I want, that I could have instant gratification every time I take pictures. I waste a lot of time debating this very issue.

4. I wish that I could motivate to buy myself some new clothes. I keep telling myself that I will drop a few pounds and then I will reward myself with a new pair of jeans. I am sick of only having a few shirts and one pair of pants in my clothing rotation. It also reminds me how much my life has changed because at one point in my life I am pretty sure I had 15 pairs of jeans.

5. I wish that I liked to exercise. I don't think this one needs further explanation.

4 Comments:

Blogger Swistle said...

I wish for the Cadbury mini-eggs.

My daughter has a different kind of difficult hair (fine, wispy, not much of it, tends to get all staticky) so this might not work for your baby's hair, but someone recommended Johnson's Detangler to me and it really helps. I hadn't bothered with it because I didn't need DETANGLER, I needed something to MANAGE her hair. But it seems to weigh her hair down and make it sleeker and shinier. Might not work for a curlykins, though, I don't know.

I have been the same way about clothes. I finally came up with this policy: I buy myself clothes that fit NOW, because if I lose weight and have to buy new ones, that's not the kind of "have to" I'm going to mind one bit--I'll be happy!

March 8, 2007 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Swistle said...

It's the spray detangler, not the conditioner you rinse out. I spray a spritz or two of it on my hands and then work it through her hair, because otherwise I get too much of it on too small a section of her hair.

March 8, 2007 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger Black Sheeped said...

I have curly/wavy hair. I think a detangler would have made my life easier (and my mom's life) when I was little.

I think it's important to have clothes that fit properly and you feel good in, no matter what size you are. Even if you are in the middle of losing weight, you need to have nice clothes for each phase of the cycle, so you feel good about yourself the whole way. I'm currently in the process of getting rid of half the contents of my closet and replacing it. Slowly, because of dollars, but! I feel way better already.

March 8, 2007 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I am really with you on wishes # 1 and 5. I too drool over the catalogues which offer a perfectly coordinated and stylish environment. But first I would have to empty my own house and start from scratch. Just ordering the Pottery Barn coffee table isn't going to do it, I'm thinking!
I also wish for a love of exercise. I know some women are all like, "If I had more spare time, I'd be hitting the gym!" And I'm like, "If I had more spare time I'd be... Surfing the Internet for yet another hour a day? Or maybe looking at catalogues and eating Cadbury eggs."

March 8, 2007 at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home