My Coffee Stain

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Obsessions

Ever since I left my job, I have found that the only way I can stay sane is by creating little projects for myself. I mean, there's only so much "itsy bitsy", let's climb mount mommy and keeping house that I can do before I want to stab myself in the eye with a plastic tea party fork.

My latest obsession is coming up with cheap home improvement projects we can do (a la Designed to Sell) so that when we eventually go to sell our condo that it looks more like a showplace and less like a place where hand-me-down furniture goes to die. More specifically, I am currently obsessed with updating our bathroom, and to a lesser extent, researching DIY hardwood floor installation.

The thought of successfully executing these projects and seeing a return in our sale price is extremely satisfying to me--especially since I haven't significantly contributed financially to our household bottom line in well over a year. Thankfully my husband is all for making these improvements as long as he doesn't have to make any design decisions and it doesn't cost too much money.

The sad thing about making these improvements though, is the thought of making them based on appeal to a potential buyer instead of what I would necessarily like to do myself. I mean, if this were our forever home, I would tear out the bathroom completely and put in a nice new jacuzzi tub. But after some thought, we realize that we would never see that money come back to us in a sale. Sad times. No jacuzzi bubbly goodness for us. I guess I will just have to write this whole improvement process off as a learning experience and enjoy the little projects we can do. The one good thing is that husband and I both agree that there is no time like the present to make the changes, instead of making them right before we leave so we won't have time to enjoy the improvements ourselves (which is what they do on the aforementioned television show).

The Teletubbies video is almost over, so Jo Jo should be clinging to my leg any moment now. And yes, I let television babysit my child.

1 Comments:

Blogger Swistle said...

Television makes a GREAT babysitter: free, available on a moment's notice, doesn't eat all the ice cream, doesn't go through your stuff.

March 4, 2007 at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home